Welcome to our most popular questions section for buying a private plate.
It is very likely that any queries you have will be answered here, so please take some time have a read through.
Should you still have any queries please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we shall respond, if not within the hour, then by the same day.
- How long does it take to transfer a private plate?
- My V5 vehicle registration document (log book) states that the registration mark is non-transferrable. Can I still transfer a private number plate to my vehicle?
- What happens to the current registration mark when I transfer a new one to my vehicle?
- What payment methods do you accept?
- What happens if I need to tax or re-MOT my vehicle during the transfer of my personalised plate?
- My vehicle’s windows are etched. Does this guarantee the re-assignment of the current registration to my vehicle if I subsequently re-transfer my cherished plate?
- If my vehicle already has a cherished registration number, can I transfer both marks simultaneously?
- I am buying a new, unregistered vehicle. Can I transfer a personal plate straight to it?
- Do my insurers need to know about my new personalised number plate?
- What documents do I need to transfer a new registration mark?
- I would like to do the transfer myself after ordering my personal registration. What happens after I have placed my order?
- Can I put any number plate on my car? (Are there any restrictions?)
- Can I buy a registration as a gift and keep it until I am ready to present it?
- After purchasing a personalised registration, do I have to assign it to a vehicle immediately?
How long does it take to transfer a private plate?
Transfer times can vary from four days to six weeks depending on the type of transfer and factors beyond our control such as the processing and response times of third bodies, for example, the DVLA and the postal service. In addition, the promptness of buyers and / or sellers to supply the necessary documents should also be taken into account. The typical transfer times are indicated below:
Self-Transfer – V750 certificate supplied: Usually four days from the point of payment clearance. This is where we supply a certificate entitling the purchaser the right to a registration mark. The purchaser has twelve months (can be extended) to assign the registration mark to a vehicle.
Full transfer – V750 / V778 certificate to vehicle: Between ten days to five weeks from the point of payment clearance. We complete the transfer / assignment of the registration mark to a vehicle for you. We will require the V5 registration document and the vehicle’s MOT certificate (if applicable). Keep in mind that the transfer process cannot commence until we have received these documents.
Vehicle to vehicle transfer: This can take between six to twelve weeks (worst case) from the point of payment clearance. We handle the entire transfer procedure and depend on the swiftness of the buyer and seller to send us the relevant documents and the processing latency of the DVLA and the postal service.
Vehicle to V778 certificate transfer: Approximately three to five weeks from the point of payment clearance. Again, we handle the transfer process and depend on the supply time of the seller’s documents. As in all transfer cases we depend on the timings of third parties, namely the DVLA and the postal service.
Please note that we do aim to complete the transfer process as swiftly as possible but as mentioned, we depend on other parties. To enable us to focus our resources on the work involved we would appreciate any progress requests by email instead of via telephone. Email us at email@example.com and please remember to quote the registration mark.