FAQs - Buying A Number Plate

Welcome to our most popular questions section for buying a private plate.

It is very likely that any queries you have will be answered here, so please take some time have a read through.

Should you still have any queries please email us at contact@platemaster.com and we shall respond, if not within the hour, then by the same day.

What documents do I need to transfer a new registration mark?

Whether you do it yourself or request us to handle the transfer for you, you will need to have available the following documents of the recipient vehicle:

  • V5 registration document (also known as the ‘logbook’).
  • MOT certificate (if applicable).
  • The expiry date of the vehicle's tax disc.
  • The V750 or V778 certificate holding the registration mark.

In the case of a vehicle-to-vehicle transfer, the additional vehicle’s documents would also be required. Note that you do not need to post your tax disc anywhere. It's only necessary to provide the expiry date. However, when a replacement tax disc is issued, the old one should be posted to the DVLA, for which an envelope is usually provided by the DVLA in due course.

Explore Plate Master