Number Plate Law
Rules for the transfer, assignment and retention of UK registration number plates
Familiarise yourself with the government's protocols for the transferring of UK registration numbers and physical display of the actual number plates.
The transfer and retention law is broken up into the following sections below. Please take your time to read through. If you are unclear with or have any queries relating to the law of registration number plates please get in touch with us via our dedicated contact page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org It will be a pleasure to help you.
- Transferring a registration number TO a vehicle (or assigning to)
- Transferring a registration number FROM a vehicle (or retaining from)
- Rights to registration marks following vehicles being written-off, stolen and not recovered or scrapped.
- Subsequent re-transfers
- Transferring number plates to new / unregistered vehicles
- Northern Ireland registered vehicles and registration numbers
- Transferring registration numbers to motorcycles, tricycles or mopeds
- Law and Guidance for the Physical Display of UK Number Plates
Transferring number plates to new / unregistered vehicles
If you are registering a vehicle yourself or buying a new vehicle from a dealer, it is possible to simultaneously transfer or assign a cherished number plate. It will be necessary to produce documentation that confirms both your name and address details. Please see I am buying a new, unregistered vehicle. Can I transfer a personal plate straight to it? in our FAQs section.