Number Plate Law
Rules for the transfer, assignment and retention of UK registration number plates
Familiarise yourself with the government's protocols for the transferring of UK registration numbers and physical display of the actual number plates.
The transfer and retention law is broken up into the following sections below. Please take your time to read through. If you are unclear with or have any queries relating to the law of registration number plates please get in touch with us via our dedicated contact page or email us at email@example.com It will be a pleasure to help you.
- Transferring a registration number TO a vehicle (or assigning to)
- Transferring a registration number FROM a vehicle (or retaining from)
- Rights to registration marks following vehicles being written-off, stolen and not recovered or scrapped.
- Subsequent re-transfers
- Transferring number plates to new / unregistered vehicles
- Northern Ireland registered vehicles and registration numbers
- Transferring registration numbers to motorcycles, tricycles or mopeds
- Law and Guidance for the Physical Display of UK Number Plates
Northern Ireland registered vehicles and registration numbers
You can transfer a Northern Ireland registration number between vehicles registered at DVLA, Swansea and the DVLNI, Northern Ireland. Both vehicles must meet the conditions to transfer a registration number.
You can transfer a vehicle registration number to or from a vehicle registered in Northern Ireland (NI) as long as both vehicles are registered either at DVLA or on the NI register.
It is also possible to transfer a DVLA registration to a vehicle registered in Northern Ireland but the process is complicated, time consuming and requires a third part vehicle registered with the DVLA.
Please ask us if you would like to know more about transferring NI numbers or numbers to NI registered vehicles. You can use our contact us page or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org