Documents needed to endorse the making of number plates

To obtain a set of number plates you will have to provide proof of entitlement to the registration number and verification of your current personal details.

At least one original document from each of the lists below is required. The combination of the documents must be sufficient to check your name, address and the registration number entitlement.

Proof of Entitlement

  • The preferred document is a V5C Vehicle Registration Certificate (log book).
  • A V948 Authorisation Certificate with official DVLA stamp.
  • A V379 - Temporary Registration Certificate.
  • A V750 - Certificate of Entitlement.
  • A V778 - Cherished Transfer Retention document.
  • The tear off slip (V5C/2) from the V5C (Section 10).
  • A V11 - Vehicle licence renewal form.
  • A letter of authorisation from a fleet operator or a lease/hire company, quoting the document reference number from the V5C. Quoting the vehicle identification number is not acceptable.

Proof of Identity

  • A current utility or telephone bill or a council tax bill.
  • A driving licence whether or not issued in the United Kingdom.
  • A debit or credit card issued by a bank or building society.
  • A bank or building society statement.
  • A passport.
  • A national identity card issued by the Government of a state or territory other than the United Kingdom.
  • An armed forces identity card.
  • A police warrant card.
Explore Plate Master